Free Therapy Dog Training Tip
Verbal Cue: “Lap”
To have your dog put his/her head in a person’s lap upon command. The elderly and wheelchair bound find this type of interaction very enjoyable.
A fun attitude
Handler and one helper
A strong ”stay“ command
- Start by sitting in the chair with your dog facing you.
- Show your dog the treat.
- With the treat in your hand, hold it in your lap.
- The very moment your dog rests his/her head on your lap, give the ”lap“ command and present the treat.
- Each time you practice, you will slowly extend the time required of your dog to rest his/her head on your lap before presenting the treat. Do not proceed too quickly
- Once you have built one minute of time with your dogs head resting on your lap (this takes time and patience), have your helper sit in the chair.
- While putting your hand in your helper’s lap, give the ”lap“ command
- Immediately praise when needed and present your dog with the treat.
- Once again, proceed slowly in extending the time required of your dog before giving him/her the treat.
Call or email us today to make your reservations.
We look forward to answering any questions you may have.